For the very latest advice and guidance on current restrictions please visit www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Update from Paul Follows following 6:30pm call with UK Government on 19th December:
"Waverley will remain at Tier 2 (the rest of Surrey and London will move to a new T4). We have posted both below so people can see the new guidance.
"I have the following information from my update call this evening with the government and some answers to some questions I have had already.
- If you don’t know if you are in Guildford, Waverley or East Hampshire borough and therefore which tier applies, that question is solved by who you pay council tax to on your bill. Those that work or have family in a nearby Tier 4 area the new guidance is here.
- The change is prompted by the increase in infection rates (in the South East particularly) based on a new variant of Covid-19 that government say requires this new approach. This is evidence by the lack of a decline in the 3rd week of the November lockdown in parts of Kent but has spread to other parts of SE England. It seems to add (at least) 0.4 to the local ‘ R Rate’.
- Work, education and care reasons are the only reasons that allow you to leave or enter a tier 4 area. In tier 4 areas the ‘stay at home’ requirement is a matter of law.
- I have had a number of complex questions about support bubbles across the border with Guildford, please see the guidance in this post.
- The next formal review by the government is going to be on or before the 30th Dec.
"I must stress, that even though we are not in Tier 4 here in Waverley my advice has to be caution and personal judgement over and above the specific rules here in Waverley.
"Please, please do not be complacent. This would be the absolute worst time to do anything other than to follow the public health advice to the letter."
Cllr Paul Follows
Deputy Leader, Waverley Borough Council
Leader, Godalming Town Council